Wednesday 4 March 2009

Oxford Castle and Castle Mound

(Click photo to enlarge).

On the way home from the Oxford University Museum of Natural History last Sunday, I took this very moody photograph of Oxford Castle and the the Castle Mound as I walked past. Oxford Castle was built back in 1071 for William the Conqueror, has since spent half of its life as a prison, and these days is part of a tourist attraction which also comprises restaurants, bars, and a hotel.

Last year I spent a night with a group of ghost-hunters in the supposedly haunted castle. It was an interesting night and it was quite fun finding our way around by only the lights of our torches, but I can't say I found it particularly spooky or believed there was any supernatural presence there. I could quite easily have settled down in the castle vaults in a sleeping bag and had a good night's sleep. But the important thing was that we were sponsored and raised a lot of money for Cystic Fibrosis.

See also: Oxford Castle

Date visited: 1 March 2009

1 comment:

  1. Very atmospheric photo. I believe it's been voted one of the world's weirdest hotels, because of its grim history.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis